This is how to force a firmware update on your Directv receiver.
By the way THIS WORKED FOR ME ON MY HR22-100 (In this video)
1. Push the Red reset button.
2. Once the VERY FIRST splash welcome screen comes up, on your remote, push the numbers, 0 2 4 6 8 in succession.
3. Within 10 seconds the download screen should appear and begin the update.
Do NOT force software downloads on any the following IRD models (Software is not on-air 24/7)
· HR20-700 • HR20-100
HR21-100 • HR21-200 • HR21-700 • HR21Pro
HR22-100 • HR23-700
R22-200 • R22-100
H21-100 • H21-200 • H23-600
H24-100 • H24-200 • H24-700
· R15-100 • R15-300 • R15-500
R16-300 • R16-500
· D12-100• D12-500• D12-700
Forcing the download will cause the receiver to sit at 0% until the download times out: (Note: for these models software will update within 24 hours of connection to a live satellite signal, if software update is available)